Sunday, June 17, 2012

Here we goooo! (My pilgrimage)


The past five days have been crazy. I’ve finished up the quarter and taken finals, earning my Associate’s Degree and then registered for classes this Fall, as well as made other preparations for transitioning to BYU. I’ve worked my final shift at the theater. I’ve said goodbye to a lot of people that I’ll probably never see again. I’ve packed up my whole life in boxes.

Basically, I’ve been running around trying to get things done, and had to run out the door. I didn’t even get to say “goodbye, house” when I left my home in West Richland this morning, with no plans of returning for the next 6 months. It seems I’m always a little bit behind and I have to scurry around like a shrew to get through life. I’m not complaining. I’m just saying I wish I had time to take a breath now and then.

An analogy for my life
 

At any rate, this morning (when I say this morning, I mean about 30 hours ago) I left my house and made the long trip to the Sea-Tac airport. It seemed like a way to short drive. I rushed into the airport and attempted to check in. It took forever to find someone to help me, and when they did it took like 2 minutes, and I just barely made the deadline for baggage check-in, and then just barely boarded on time. Like a shrew.

Home sweet home

I know the focus is the road in this picture, but if you look just above it, there's some lovely landscape

Washington slowly gets more treesome



My first flight took about ten hours. I kept myself entertained by watching John Carter and then Man on a Ledge, to movies I never bothered watching in theaters. And they were just about as terrible as I expected them to be, but you never really notice on a plane until the end of it, fortunately. I also got a little bit of sleep, about two hours, putting my total amount of sleep at 4 hours for the past 48. I haven’t flown in about 4 or 5 years, so it was also very exciting just to experience those feelings again.

It also made me think about how weird flying is. I mean basically we get in a metal tube with wings attached to it. And they’re just like “it’ll fly” and we assume someone has done the math. Which they have, it’s just crazy to think that we’re flying because this thing that weighs several tons has some wings that are the right shape attached to it. What’s even more crazy is thinking that the thing propelling it is an engine. Basically, something that uses the mechanism of exploding to create kinetic energy. I know that we’ve tested and calculated and people who are smarter than me have figured out exactly how to account for all the forces affecting these things, but I just think that if you explained the idea behind them to scientists a few hundred years ago, they’d call that idea insane. So next time you’re on a plane, remember that you’re in a several ton metal tube propelled by explosions. I hope that doesn’t freak you out too much.
Getting close to Tokyo
Getting closer to Tokyo

It was pretty interesting to fly westbound though. Although we lost a day by crossing the international date line, we pretty much only lost 2 hours (departed Seattle at 1 pm, arrived in Tokyo at 3 pm) because we were chasing the sun. The international date line itself is pretty confusing. On my return flight, for example, I’m going to arrive 6 hours before my departure (according to local times).













After those ten long hours, I got to the Tokyo Narita airport. Don’t ask me what Tokyo is like because I have no idea. I basically showed up, got to where I needed to transfer, and then left. Although I hoped I could see some part of the city, I was a little more scared of missing a flight. However, after this trip I’m really hoping more travel is in my future, so I doubt this will be my only visit to Tokyo.

The next flight was between Tokyo and Singapore. The All Nippon Airline flight was a lot nicer than the United flight that got me to Tokyo. Although I was a little stranged out by the inflight meal. I did try everything, even though I sort of wish I had skipped some of it.
Everything is about as unappetizing as it looks. The thing in the little box was some beef and rice which was actually pretty good.

The ANA flight was a lot shorter than my previous one. It was a lot less comfortable too, though. I had a window seat, so I didn’t bother standing up the entire time. Also, there was this awkward moment where I had taken my shoes off and was feeling around to see where they were left, and I felt something, turned out it was the foot of the guy sitting next to me. I spent the majorty of this flight sleeping though, which makes sense because although it was between 5-11pm local time, it was really between 1-7 am for my circadian rhythm.

I arrived in Singapore pretty close to midnight, local time. Again, I have no idea what Singapore is really like, I never left the airport. But I have to say, the airport is probably the coolest and nicest one I’ve ever been to. It was basically a mall. There were tons of shops, a butterfly room and koi pond, free computers to use (free wifi too, but not worth the hassle), and each gate had its own security checkpoint.
Does not capture how nice this airport was, but I was very scared of missing a flight, so I  only took one

Also, because of the timing, there were lots of people sleeping. I didn’t want to be too pervasive, but I  did get a picture:
Comfy

This wasn’t even the best one. People were sleeping in random places everywhere. Benches, right on the hard ground, and on top of vending machines. Okay, that last one was made up, but I’m sure it’s happened.

At the time of writing this, I’m on my final flight to Perth. We’ve been getting crazy turbulence. I wish I would’ve slept during this leg, as that would’ve best adjusted me for being in Perth time, but I guess I’ll just have to tough it out. After all, at the end of this I will have gone 72 hours on 10 hours of sleep.

I promise to post this as soon as I get in (probably tonight… which for anyone in America means tomorrow). And there is more to come, as my adventure has just begun! That even rhymed.

Oh! And I almost forgot: these are Rian’s best quotes from the ride to Seattle:

My mom was explaining what a lumiere is, and before she could finish, Rian interrupted to say “Blah blah blah, I already know.” She doesn’t..

Rian and Olivia were playing catchphrase, Olivia gives the hint that it’s an animal that “can be a pet or a snack.” Rian guessed a chicken. (It was a goldfish).

Later, Sara and Olivia were both trying to help Rian guess correctly. Sara said, “Dogs don’t have hands, they have…” “Whiskers!” was Rian’s reply.

It was hard to say goodbye to those 3 goofy girls. I’m really going to miss them.


No comments:

Post a Comment